Monday, June 25, 2012

Summer Solstice



Science based events are like the Divine's natural holidays to me. I can't imagine better moments to celebrate than those of the natural world. Yes, I do love traditional holidays as well, but I feel a special connection to events like solstices and equinoxes. These times seem charged with change and potential. I take advantage of such moments to remind myself of certain things and review my goals and dreams.

 
I took a walk towards the college campus that is near us. The campus is full of natural beauty and neat art pieces. It was incredibly hot, but sticking to the shade seemed to help. As you can see the sun looked like it was celebrating by trying to burn me alive! Meanwhile I was headed to the walk-in art shop on campus to do some work with clay.


It's been literally decades since I've worked with clay. Back in grade school we'd make small clay objects and get to glaze them. Mine were hideous! I was determined to create something decent for my first adult attempt. In fact, I had something in mind already. There's a crescent moon candle-holder that I've wanted to buy for awhile. Well, I decided to make my own version of it. I felt a bit bad, like a music pirate, but since it's just for me, hopefully it's ok that I was inspired by something else.

This is what I made! Sometime this week it will be fired and then I can go in and glaze it or keep it as is. Working with clay was so interesting. Any motion you put in it shows in the clay immediately. Every time I accidentally  nicked it with my finger nail I would have to smooth that part over.

My friend Jen was with me and definitely helped me get the shape rounder. She also drew the pentacle on the middle disk as I just couldn't get it looking right!


Now that I have one clay piece done I'm planning on coming back and making more. I'd like to make a tree and a Bastet sacred cat statue. The cost is so decent too. It's one of the few indulgences I can afford this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment