Thursday, October 27, 2011

Women are Not a Commodity/Resource

Yes, in between posts about my hobbies and fashion exist posts like this one that focus on the things that really matter.  The more frivolous posts are not frivolous to me because they are my stress-relief/coping mechanism to deal with the harshness of reality. I believe in doing what I can to help change and also preserving my fragile mind (don't ask, too much trauma throughout my life).

So, with that in mind let's discuss the "Shortage of Women" articles that pop up all over.  Female infanticide has been an issue for a long time and infanticide in general has been a widespread practice throughout human history. 

Sex selective abortion targets the female fetus and results in skewed populations. I saw this in practice when I lived in Asia for a year.  There was an orphanage a short bus ride from my apartment and it was filled with floor after floor of girl babies and slightly older children.  Once a week I'd go there to volunteer which mostly consisted of giving the babies much needed attention.

What I find troubling is that EVERY article online that I've read so far has focused on the issue much the way one might write about over-grazing or dwindling fishing.  The issue is seen as one of men not being able to find wives and having to "import" women from other countries.  Writers tackle this horrifying problem from a heteronormative and very male perspective.  You can see this in articles like this one from Jezebel.

I don't think I need to say more.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a self-created problem. How did they not see this issue from way down the road? I can't imagine being surrounded by that in Asia, I would have lost my mind. Girls and women are not treated like the Goddess we are! I'm a big-time feminist and have to say, so refreshing to read your perspective. Keep going and I'll keep reading.

    BTW, I just noticed you're vegan so you may want to avoid my foodie blog!

    ReplyDelete